Thursday, January 17, 2013

What's for breakfast?

Every now and then I get the urge to really go the extra mile for my hubby and kids.  I'll cook up a bunch of breakfast things or snacks or grab and go meals that I can put in the freezer.  My freezer is always full of something it seems.  Sometimes I'll have something that will be in there for awhile and other times they'll fly out faster then it took them to freeze.  It all depends.  I'm a huge fan of freezing food though.  I freeze just about everything.  I also like to make some homemade versions of snacks for my kids to have too.  These I don't always freeze, because I know they'll eat them fast enough.  Pinterest is great for things like this! 
I felt led this week to make breakfast burritos and cereal bars.  My cereal bars were actually going to be granola bars, but I was out of rice crispies.  I had some honey nut cheerios that had been in the pantry for awhile (obviously not fan favorite), so I tried something new.  I took the base for my granola bars and mixed in the cheerios and some peanuts and ta-da!
The kids are loving them too!
Here's what I did...
Cereal Bars
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat I mixed: 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 Tbsp butter and 3 Tbsp honey
2. Cook it until it is melted and bubbly, reduce heat and cook 2 minutes.
3. Mix sauce with 4 cups cheerios and 1/4-1/2 cup peanuts.
4. Pour into a foil lined and lightly greased 8x8 baking dish
5. Take a piece of wax paper and press cereal down to make it compact, then remove wax paper.
6. Let cool and cut.
I put mine into individual snack size plastic bags for my kids snack basket.  You could also store them in an airtight container.
 
Next came my breakfast burritos.  For these I tried to pull out my inner Mexican and channel Mary's mother-in-law (who makes the best ones I've ever eaten) to make.  I have to admit to you that until about 9 years ago, after I married my husband and we lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico, I don't think I'd ever heard of a breakfast burrito, let alone eaten one or made one.  In NM they usually smother them in chili, and I don't mean the soup I posted a few days ago.  Since I was never a big fan of chili I never really ate them.  Then I come to Vegas, become BFF's with a Mexican and had another go at a breakfast burrito and fell in love (as did my hubby).  I've learned that the simpler the better and bacon grease is the key.  Yeah...  These are not exactly low in fat, but they taste amazing!  :)
 
Breakfast Burritos
Ingredients:
1 lb bacon
2 medium or 1 large potato, shredded
8 eggs, beaten
1 1/2-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 taco size or 4 large size flour tortillas

1. Cook bacon in a large skillet or griddle, until slightly crisp.  Give a rough chop and set aside in bowl.  Drain most of the grease from pan, reserving it for later
2. Cook shredded potatoes in same skillet used for the bacon, adding some drippings if needed to keep from sticking.  Once fully cooked, set aside in bowl
3. Add 1-2 Tbsp drippings to skillet, add eggs and cook to make scrambled eggs.  Set aside in bowl
4. Over low heat, warm each tortilla just until it's soft and place on a piece of foil
5. Gather your bowls of bacon, potato, scrambled eggs, cheese and tortillas 
6. Place a little egg, potato, bacon and cheese in the middle of a tortilla
7. Fold into a burrito and wrap in foil
You can freeze them, refrigerate them or just eat them right on the spot!  Top them with salsa, sour cream, guacamole or more cheese. :)  Anything you want!  What do you like on yours?

My assembly line
Pile of goodness
Burrito!
I got 9 smaller burritos
And a little extra filling to make lunch!

2 comments:

  1. Love both recipes. I like the NM type burritoes myself, but Doug likes the kind the just posted. Will add this to my scrapbook. When I had kids at home by freezer was always full also. It saved us a lot of many and trips to the store. Love your blog, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MamaJack! I'm having fun doing it! What do you think of the colors? One person said it was too dark, what about you?

    ReplyDelete