One Pot Cheeseburger Macaroni
From No. 2 Pencil
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ of a large yellow onion, diced
- 1.5 pounds good quality, lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoon of season salt, or salt and pepper to taste
- 1 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- ¼ cup of ketchup
- 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
- 1 pound of rotini pasta
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- Freshly diced tomato
- Green onions
- Shredded lettuce
- Start with a large pot.
- Add olive oil to the pan, and sautee yellow onions until softened over medium heat.
- Increase heat to high and add ground beef.
- While ground beef is cooking, season with one teaspoon of season salt plus several turns of freshly ground pepper.
- Brown ground beef, and drain any excess fat from the pot.
- Use kitchen scissors to chop up whole tomatoes while still in the can.
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, ketchup, mustard, pasta and additional teaspoon of season salt to the pot and bring mixture to a boil.
- Turn heat back down, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Once pasta is cooked, remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle additional cup of shredded cheese on top and re-cover pot with lid until cheese is melted.
- Add your choice of traditional cheeseburger toppings.
- We choose fresh, diced tomatoes and green onions. You can also try pickles or shredded lettuce.
This recipe serves a lot, probably 8-10 at least, and makes great leftovers! The ingredients are easily halved to feed a family of 4.