Thursday, June 20, 2013

Vanilla Rice Pudding Deliciousness

Ever since I was a little girl I have loved rice pudding.  Although, I think it was the one thing that my mom never made.  I always had it at restaurants if they had it in a salad bar or dessert or something.  I had pinned this recipe for Vanilla Coconut Rice Pudding a while back and kinda forgot about it.  Then I was at my friend's house and she had made some.  It was so good!  I hadn't had rice pudding in a long time and almost forgot how much I like it.  Then I remembered I had a recipe pinned for some.  I found it.  To my happiness I had everything I needed at home.  Even the coconut milk and vanilla bean!  I was so excited to try this and so hoping it was going to turn out good.  Oh. My. Goodness.  Did it turn out?  It was deliciousness in my mouth!  It was creamy, had amazing vanilla flavor, a hint of cinnamon and was just plain to die for!  This has become a treat for me.  No one else in my family likes it, which I'm ok with.  More for me then!  I usually double or make 1 1/2 recipes of it and snack and dessert and salivate over it for a few days.  It is just so yummy!  I like it warm.  So even though I keep it refrigerated I always heat it up in the microwave to make it good and steamy.  Is it just me, or is starting to sound a little time like a bad romance novel?  Ha ha!  Ok, I think  you get the idea now that this is deliciousness and that you have to try it!!!  Let me know if you love it as much as I do!

Vanilla Coconut Rice Pudding
(adapted from Ffffood)

1 1/2 cups of cold cooked rice (I either use left over rice, make sure to make extra so I have left over rice or cook it an hour or 2 before I'm going to make it so it can cool before I make it.)
1 1/2 cups of coconut milk
2 cups of whole or 2% milk
1/3 cup of sugar
pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean, insides scraped out (The first time I made this I scraped the seeds out and put them along with the bean pod in the pot.  The second time I used only the seeds.  The last time I made this I didn't have any beans and added 2 tsp of vanilla extract and it was still great.  I don't think you can go wrong here any way you make this.)
1 cinnamon stick (this is my addition and it give this a great cinnamon undertone)

Combine all the ingredients together in a saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat for 40 minutes (or until most of the liquid has absorbed and is good and creamy looking). Stir occasionally to make sure it isn't sticking.  Allow to cool and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment