Saturday, June 1, 2013

Apple Fritters for National Donut Day!

Last night as I was scrolling through my Facebook news feed I came across an ad for National Donut Day!  Did you know that we even have this?!  I didn't, but given any excuse to eat donuts I will do it with due diligence!  :)  So, I started looking at the few recipes I had pinned for GF donuts and couple of them didn't sound too hard or bad.  Then I remembered I had a recipe for my mom's apple fritters.  I got excited!  (Kinda like I am now!)  So I found it and decided that was what I was going to try, but make them GF so I could eat them too!  Hooray! 
This morning I was excited to hit the kitchen, but needed some coffee motivation first.  I drank some of my beloved coffee and then set out to make my fritters before we had to get out the door for my son's last T-ball game.  (We wake up very much way too early around here.)  From start to finish it took about 15-20 minutes to make and fry my fritters and they were delicious.  I ate way too many, but it was so worth it!  Try these and, what they heck, make your own donut day!

Mom's Apple Fritters

Heat oil to 350
Sift together:
1 cup flour (regular or I used Jeanie's GF all-purpose flour)
3-4 T sugar, depending how sweet you like them
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
In a separate bowl lightly whisk together:
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1 T melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
Pour liquid ingredients into dry and mix until incorporated.
Stir in 1 apple cut into small cubes.
I used a large cookie scoop (or ice cream scoop) and dropped into hot oil.  Fry for about 2-3 minutes a side or until golden brown and cooked all the way through.  You can make them smaller too if you wish.  Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Devour! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment