Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Laundry Time!

I used to have one day a week that was laundry day.  Now, three kids and a mechanical husband later, I do laundry all the time.  If I get two or three days between doing a load of laundry it's amazing!  I've always tried to keep with detergent that was dye free, but with as often as I do laundry, it was just getting expensive and I was always buying more.  Not to mention the dryer sheets.  With that being said, something had to give.  I thought why not try making some myself. 
I went in search of a "recipe" for laundry detergent and found a bunch.  Some for liquid and some for powder.  I took the easy way out and tried a powder version.  I love it!  It works great, uses little, lasts a long time, saves money, easy to mix and cleans our clothes! 
Here's what I do.  Let me know if you like it too!

Homemade Laundry Detergent
(from Serving Joyfully)

1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1 bar Fels Naptha Soap, grated (I used Ivory soap instead and grated it in my food processor)
1/2 cup Oxi-Clean (optional)
1/2 cup Scent Booster (like Downy Unstoppables) (optional)

Mix everything together and store in an air-tight container (I used an Animal Cracker container).  I use  2 T per load.  If you have a large family or do lots of laundry like I do, I suggest triple or quadrupling this recipe to make it last a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment