Saturday, February 8, 2014

Lasanga 3 Ways

I've been gluten free for about a year now.  For the most part I can honestly say it has been much easier than I ever thought it would be.  I still have moments when I really want a good sandwich or want to eat a burger not wrapped in lettuce or a good hot pizza.  I've gotten pretty good at the GF flours to make baked goods and when I can fool even my family I know I've got a success.  Usually when we have pasta I'll make them regular pasta and I'll make myself rice pasta.  I really don't mind it and actually think it's good.  I've made casseroles for my family using rice pastas too and they didn't even know it until I said something.  Win!  The one pasta that I have the hardest time with giving up is lasagna.  For one I can't find rice pasta lasagna noodles anywhere and two, I just wanted the real thing.  Tear.  Pity party over now.  I decided to try to make a Zucchini "Lasagna" for myself while I made a regular one for the loves in my life.  Plus, who can't use some extra veggies in their day, right?  It was simple enough to just sub out the noodles with thinly sliced zucchini and still layer it with the same cheese mixture and sauce.  It was a little more "watery" after baking from the zucchini cooking and releasing their natural water, but still good just the same.  Next I'm going to have to try the ribbon zucchini noodles and maybe even try the Zoodles one day.  So, now onto the good stuff.  Here's the recipes for my lasagna.

All my sliced zucchini
Lasagnas
-One pot of Mom's Spaghetti Sauce, made and cooled.
-Cook 1 lb lasagna noodles according to package, drain, rinse and set aside.  OR Thinly slice 2-4 zucchini (depending on size and how big of a lasagna you want.) and set aside.
-Cheese layer: 
Mix together- 12 oz cottage cheese, 3 cups mozzarella cheese, 1 wedge Romano cheese (shredded) or 2 cups of Italian cheese blend, 2-4 generous tablespoons of prepared pesto
-To assemble:
In the bottom of a casserole dish spread enough spaghetti sauce to thinly coat bottom. 
Next, 1 layer of noodles or zucchini
Then add small spoonfuls of cheese mixture.
Followed by another layer of noodles or zucchini.
Add more sauce to cover.
Keep repeating until you have no more noodles or cheese.
Lastly top with sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
-Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until bubbly. 
Or cover and freeze.  If baked frozen, it'll take closer to 1 hour to heat through.
When making your lasagna, make it yours.  Either use all noodles, use all zucchini or use both.  If you use both alternate layers to make a vegetable lasagna.  Yum!  I got 3 lasagnas when I made this.  I baked 2 and froze the other.






No comments:

Post a Comment