Sunday, May 19, 2013

Using-Up-Leftovers Chicken Fried Rice

This week was such an off, blah week for me.  I don't know if it was because my family left after visiting for a few days or what.  I just couldn't seem to get it together!  I've been so tired and not wanting to do anything.  Plus, all of our usual programs came to an end this week.  Now I have to come up with new ways to entertain my children during the week.  With only a few more weeks of school left, I better think fast.  Yikes!  So hence to say, my cooking wasn't that great or inventive either.
Everyone likes a dinner they can throw together quickly, everyone usually likes and can also help clean out the fridge.  That's what I did last night.  I was going to make stir fry, which is great way to use up veggies that need to be eaten, but then realized I also had some left-over grilled chicken that needed used too.  So I opted for Chicken Fried Rice instead.  Everyone has their own variation of it.  I came up with mine a few years ago and just kinda wing it every time.  I'm going to try to put it in recipe form the best I can for you all, so bear with me!  Fried rice of any kind is a great way to use up leftover rice too.  If you don't have any leftover in the fridge, cook up some before hand, either in the day before or earlier in the day.  If you don't have fresh veggies in the fridge, you can use frozen ones too, I've totally done this. 

Chicken Fried Rice
5-6 servings

2-3 cups cooked, cooled rice
1 small head of broccoli, chopped
1-2 carrots, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 (or more) cup chicken, chopped
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Sesame oil
1 T butter
2 eggs
Soy Sauce

Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add 1/2 T butter and 1-2 tsp. sesame oil to the pan.  Add in chopped veggies and sauté until beginning to soften.
Add in chicken and rice and stir to combine.  Drizzle another 1-2 tsp. sesame oil, other 1/2 T butter and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder to rice mixture and stir. 
Once it seems to be heating through, make a well on the side of the skillet, add a little butter if needed to prevent sticking.  Crack 2 eggs into the well and stir quickly to scramble.  Once eggs are cooked and scrambled, stir into the rest of the rice and veggie mixture.
Add in soy sauce.  This is a total taste preference thing.  Add in some, taste and go from there.  I like to go a little light on it in the pan so then everyone can add what they want to it in their potion.  Me, I like mine loaded with it.  Not a sodium free meal!  Haha!
I like to keep my rice cooking a little longer so it begins to brown a little.  Let it cook for a couple minutes, stir it around and repeat a few times until you get the texture and taste you want in your rice.
Serve hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment