Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Pioneer Woman Kind of Breakfast

I am a total Food Network junkie.  I love it.  All of it.  From the cooking shows, reality shows, Chopped and everything in between.  One of my absolute favorite cooking shows to watch is The Pioneer Woman.  I love her!  I love her recipes and have made many.  I have one of her cookbooks and love it so much that I didn't pay any attention to the cover and actually bought it a second time thinking it was a new one.  (I know, a blond moment, right there!)  So, this post is dedicated to her.  Miss Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman.
First I'll tell you about her Blueberry Corn Mini-Muffins.  I saw her making them on her show, of course, and thought, "Why can't I make those gluten free?!"  So that's what I did!  They turned out great!  I used my trusty GF all-purpose flour mix.  They puffed and baked beautifully and tasted great!  Even my hubby couldn't get enough!  She says you get 24 mini's and I got 48 without changing a thing.  I also added a little sugar (maybe 1/4 cup) to the second batch to give them a little bit more sweetness, but either way were good.  The other thing I did do differently was, I didn't pay attention, again, and I bought blueberry Craisins instead of actual dried blueberries.  They, again, were still great, but I'll definitely make these again with regular dried blueberries another time. 

Blueberry Corn Mini-Muffins
From The Pioneer Woman
Ingredients
  • 1 cup Yellow Corn Meal
  • 1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
  • 2 Tablespoons Sugar
  • 1 cup Buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup Milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 whole Egg
  • 1/4 cup Shortening, Melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 8 ounces, weight Dried Blueberries

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine corn meal, flour, salt, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, egg, and baking soda. Stir to combine. Add melted shortening, stirring constantly. Add vanilla extract, then stir in dried blueberries (you can use a little more or a little fewer if you'd like.)
Pour into a greased mini-muffin pan, trying to make sure blueberries stay evenly distributed. Bake for 10 minutes or so, or until golden brown.

The next recipe I want to share is for these perfect little Eggs in Hash Brown Nests.  They are so cute and perfect!  Super easy to prep the day before and easy to throw in the oven in the morning.  I used leftover baked potatoes I had and we actually had them for dinner one night.  These would be great for a brunch or potluck too.  Yum!


Eggs in Hash Brown Nests
from The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients

  • 6 whole Medium Russet Potatoes (6 To 8)
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • 24 whole Large Eggs
  • Non-stick Cooking Spray

Preparation Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Bake the potatoes until almost tender (potatoes should still have a little bite) 45 minutes to 1 hour. Allow to cool, and then peel and grate them. Season well with salt and pepper.
INCREASE OVEN TEMP TO 425 DEGREES.
Spray two muffin pans generously with cooking spray. Scoop 3 to 4 tablespoons of grated potato into each muffin cup. Use your fingers to gently press the sides and bottom in each muffin hole to make a nest (don't press the potatoes firmly against the pan; they should sit lightly in the pan.) Spray again (very lightly!) with cooking spray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Watch and make sure they do not burn. (If they seem like they're not browning, kick up the temp to 450.) Remove when the nests are golden brown.
Allow the nests to cool. Crack an egg into each one. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake until the whites are set, about 15 minutes. Don't be concerned if some whites bake differently; no two nests will look alike!
Remove from the muffin pan with a spoon or fork and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment