Friday, March 15, 2013

We're Having Cookies for Breakfast!

Who can resist cookies for breakfast?!  I found this recipe on Pinterest for breakfast cookies, it came from Yummy Mummy Club.  What I like about this that made it interesting is that it is an oatmeal base, but doesn't have eggs or flour or peanut butter in it to hold everything together.  They turned out much tastier then I expected too!  I feel like you can only give your kids a quick breakfast of cereal or pop tarts so many times, so this was a breath of fresh air.  I threw them together super fast between appointments one morning, and in about 20 minutes they were completely done.  They were flavorful, soft and everyone likes them!  I will say though, when you open the container you store them in, they kinda have a funky smell from the banana/raisin mixed smell. 
As the Yummy Mummy says, I'll now gather my mom of the year sash for serving cookies for breakfast to my kids. 

My son, getting in there to show that cookie who's boss!
Even the picky 2 year old like them!  Hooray!

Breakfast Cookies

Gathering my ingredients
3 ripe bananas
2 cups uncooked, quick-cooking oats (has to be quick oats for them to be soft and not as crunchy)
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce (or one of those hand snack-sized ones) (I used cinnamon applesauce and then didn't add the extra cinnamon below.)
1/4 cup skim milk  (I used 2%)
1/3 cup raisins (if not using chocolate chips use 1/2 cup raisins)
1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. brown sugar

Letting the mixture sit for 5 minutes helps the oatmeal
 soften for a better "cookie" outcome.
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a large bowl, mash bananas with a fork. Mix in the remaining ingredients and blend well with wooden spoon.
Let mixture stand for at least 5 minutes to allow oatmeal to moisten.  (This is key to these cookies!)
Drop dough by approx. 2 tablespoons-full onto baking sheet (I used my large baking scoop for easy measuring). Flatten slightly with the back of your spoon.
Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven and let cool completely on rack

I got a perfect baker's dozen :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try these cookies! _ Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they are a hit with your crew too!

    ReplyDelete