Sunday, April 14, 2013

Mini Burgers, Sweet Potato "Fries" and Salt & Vinegar Cabbage

Today was a weird day.  Bella B was up during the night so I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.  Then it was my week to help out in Zach's class at church so by the time we got home I was really tired and in need of some serious coffee.  I made apple pancake for the kids and Banana Bread Paleo Pancakes for me to go with my coffee for "lunch."  Then I got a little bit of quiet while B napped and the other two watched a movie.  That is one of my favorite times of day... Quiet time, oh how I love thee.  Then I shampooed our big area rug in the living room after a couple came to get our old couch (we're getting a new sectional on Thursday :))  The kids played outside most the afternoon, there was of course drama, and Bella had a really bad day with potty training.  By the end of the day I was ready for the kitchen.  For some that may seem like a chore, and for me sometimes it is too.  Today, however, it was a relaxing part of my day.  I wanted to try a new recipe and a new dinner out on my kids.
I made mini burgers with roasted sweet potato "fries" and Salt and Vinegar Cabbage (from Change of Pace).  It tasted so good!  The kids loved the burgers, but the "fries" were only a hit with Zachy, my only child that likes sweet potatoes.
For the burgers I seasoned up 1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef and made them into small patties.  Since my hubs wasn't here I didn't want to break out the grill so I just made them inside on the griddle.  I took a biscuit cutter and cut pieces of bread to fit the burgers and then toasted them on the stove.  They looked so cute!
A kid plate with mini burger and "fries"
For my sweet potato "fries" I cut up 2 sweet potatoes and put them on a cookie sheet and tossed them with evoo, salt and pepper and let them roast at 425 for about 45 minutes.  I forgot to turn them half way through so the bottoms got a little more toasty then I'd liked, but they were still good to me (and Zach)!
My fellow sweet potato kid
Then I made this Salt and Vinegar Cabbage.  I've been eyeing it for awhile.  I follow her blog and she makes this fairly regularly.  Lately I've been really liking cabbage.  I think part of it is because of my Mexican Sisi that's introduced me to a lot of foods that they top with it, but either way I've been diggin' it!  I was really excited to try this tonight.  It was so good!  I'll definitely be eating this the next couple days with my leftover burgers.  If you like cabbage you'll have to try it. 
I guess it was kind of a fast food made healthy kind of night for us.  I liked it!


That was my dinner.  YUM!
Salt and Vinegar Cabbage
(From Change of Pace)

Keep your cabbage and onion in the same size category.  If you can only find a small cabbage get a small onion.

1 medium head of green cabbage sliced into thin strips (think coleslaw!)
1 medium onion sliced into thin strips
2 tablespoons ghee- divided (I used butter)
1 teaspoon of salt- divided
Apple cider vinegar and red pepper flakes to taste.


Melt one tablespoon of the ghee in a large pot over medium low heat. When it melts add all of the onion plus a half a teaspoon of salt. Sauté until just soft. Add your cabbage, the other tablespoon of ghee, and the other half teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook until tender stirring frequently. It usually takes about 20 minutes. Garnish with red pepper flakes and a drizzle of apple cider vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment